Sunday, August 11, 2013

Well then, who the hell are you?

Note (25 Aug 2015): This was written in August 2013 and whilst most of it still holds true, I no longer live in Singapore.

I'm sure the question has crossed your minds, well perhaps in a slightly less rude way but nevertheless. Or maybe it has not, but I do feel it's imperative for a reviewer to let his audience know his specifics so they know the perspective from which they're reading. I doubt a middle-aged Chinese female reviewer who enjoys mainly Chinese art would have the same view as say.. a young Indian guy on food or art etc. I'm not saying this is how it is for everyone, but you get the idea.

Who am I then? Judging from the first post, you may have gathered my name is Ryan. I'm turning 24 this year, so am probably entering that quarter-life period. I'm Malaysian Chinese, though that will probably not really matter as culturally I'm about as Chinese as Barack Obama. I've just recently moved to the Lion City, or Single-pore as I prefer to call it, for work. It's a lot busier and the pace of life here is much quicker than back home. This also means most of my reviews and views will be based in this lovely city. Did I just say lovely? Perhaps not the most accurate adjective but I'll let that one go. The being Chinese but not really part though, will probably help all the other bananas like me out there. Especially when you're looking for a hair stylist, go into a random shop and are ambushed with only mandarin-speaking staff. Trapped.

So, yeah I love over-thinking movies, of which the majority are English speaking. Music is also a big big inspiration in my life and I can't imagine how boring life would be without good music. This is starting to sound like the about me section of OKcupid now... not that I've seen it or anything. To close it off, I'm in the hospitality and tourism industry and this will perhaps mean I understand service breakdowns more in any service-based... service. So I tend to cut them more slack because I can empathize, but then again I'll be able to point out more clearly when I feel things aren't working right. This will definitely feature in my restaurant and service reviews.

Well, that wraps it up for this post. Please feel free to ask me if you'd like to know anything else about me like my number for the females out there. Just joking, but seriously, do feel free to pry into my private life. Till then, take care and enjoy the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment